Thursday 23 May 2013

Project Management

I've arrived at the desired stage with Cariboo Handwoven in which I have to plan my projects in more detail and sufficiently in advance. I talked a bit about this in my last blog about being a weaver. My business has happily reached the point where I need to manage all stages of a project and plan them out to allow enough time to determine what I want to make, contemplate ideas and order the necessary materials. I know I have jumped into some projects very eagerly but with some compromises in the colours I used because they were all I had on hand. I didn't want to wait around for a week until a yarn order arrived!

So last week I expanded my project ideas and goals into a sort of Gantt chart to enable me to visualize at once where things are coming from and going. I am the sort of person who likes to know what target I'm striving for, such as a certain amount of blankets by a certain date, and then I break down that big goal into all the necessary mini-goals to either know I'm on track or have to make adjustments. I am most comfortable with this level of detailed planning.

Here's a snippet of that Gantt chart:



Yesterday I received an eagerly anticipated order of 50 cones of Shetland wool for two blanket projects. I already have other colours but most of these will comprise my base tones:


And now onto the very detailed planning for my next set of blankets, which will begin what I anticipate to be a busy and fulfilling summer of weaving.

1 comment: