Friday 15 July 2016

Towels, Towels, Towels

It may be a silly title, but it's a big part of my weaving life lately - designing, playing around and weaving towels. Both looms have seen some long warps for towels.

Jon and I have each woven a few towels in waffle squares on the old loom. They're warped at 28" wide to allow for ample take-in from this weave structure. I've woven many blankets, small and large, in waffle weave over the years, and these should work really well as absorbent, quick-drying towels. This is the weave structure I call waffle squares.



On the new loom, I continued with more towels in advancing twill. I finished a commission for two table runners ...



... then wove more towels in a variety of colours and patterns.







Next project, I combined advancing twill and straight twill diamonds in the latest set.


Straight twill goes down the centre with advancing twill on each side.




And my latest project is to combine a towel and small cloth in a set, which has been requested too many times to remember. Good idea!



Towels are fun to design and to weave, and Cariboo Handwoven towels are popular as gifts because they're so unique while working well throughout their long lifetime. Summertime is best for weaving with cottons; I'll surely return to the wool blankets when the weather starts to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment