Thursday 27 September 2012

Plain Weave Blanket

I haven't used plain weave for a very long time. Plain weave (also called 'tabby' in the weaving lexicon) is the most basic weave structure - under one, over one, under one ... This gives plain weave the maximum number of interlockings of the warp and weft yarns, meaning that it tends to produce a fairly loose cloth. My preferred twill patterns enable a tighter packing of the yarns, making for a sturdier cloth. How the cloth is finished can substantially affect those general statements though.

Using some fine, loosely plied wool/mohair handspun, I'm weaving one blanket in plain weave.  I think it will make for a light but warm blanket. I like the log cabin effect between the solid-coloured blocks where the warp yarns alternate between beige and cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment