Monday 18 June 2012

Felting

On Saturday I joined a felting workshop held by MamaQuilla Textiles. Felting is the intentional interlocking of wool fibres with hot water, soap and agitation to create a moulded fabric.  At least, that's how I would put it.  Our group of eight, led by the very knowledgable Maureen, had a wonderful day in Maureen's studio.  I kind of laughed at myself though - I was all set to work all day in the barn, which would probably be chilly and maybe dark.  Well, the barn is totally refurbished into a beautiful, cozy, working studio.

We started with felt balls, worked our way up to felted bags...


... then finished with a felted picture.  Between the second and third projects I fooled around with felting on my thermos cup.  I loved the three-dimensional felting in strong preference to making a picture.  Here are my felt balls and cups:



Thank you, Maureen, for a super day and your amazing inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment